Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Bubble Tea

My daughter has become a fan of bubble tea over the past year. It's some concoction of tea with tapioca balls floating around the bottom, best I can tell. "It's a fad!" I told her tonight, flat out, but it's apparently the chic thing to do. I'm not convinced.

Anyway, she complained today that she and her friend went looking for Joy Bubble Tea at Menlo Park Mall, but they couldn't find it. While we found a website for the shop, the mall no longer lists it as a vendor.

We tried looking for local bubble tea shops using a zip code and keyword search in MapQuest, but it only found shops with Bubble Tea in the title. My daughter suggested I try Google. "There must be a bubble tea location search engine out there somewhere," she said. I was incredulous. But we soon found Bobafind.com, which allowed us to search for bubble tea shops in NJ. She has a new lease on life.

For those of you who read my recent posting on meticulous sourcing in genealogy, you will want to read Ancestry.com's response. They explain how alternate forms of names can be sourced using their site. It's apparently a bit cumbersome so they plan to work on the mechanism to make sourcing even easier.

My wife and daughter gave me an iPod for Christmas this year. I've got the iPod Classic 6th generation. As one might expect, Wikipedia has articles on the full range of iPods. Wiki even has each of the generations described, including a summary of the benefits and shortcomings of each iteration. I'm not sure it is a good thing for Wikipedia to become Consumer Reports, but maybe it is an inevitable detail that Wikipedians will want to include. In twenty years, maybe no one will care what the difference was between the 5th and 6th generations of my iPod? I hope people have better things on their minds.

3 comments:

itaylo47 said...

Bubble tea is new to me. It looks a little like one of the drinks at Taffy Lewis' bar in Bladerunner. I had an old girlfriend who, I just learned, loves bubble tea. I hate being out in the cold when it comes to the latest fads and crazes. Now I have to go out and get myself some bubble tea to satisfy my curiosity.

T said...

I've always experienced Bubble Tea at Vietnamese restaurants. There used to be a restaurant in Erie called Pho 78. It was a Vietnamese restaurant that sold a lot of Pho, among other Vietnamese cuisine. It has since closed, but I had my first experience with Bubble Tea there. Your daughter might want to try that route, or any local Asian supermarket typically carries it as well- or so I learned today.

I would also recommend trying Pho, since I brought it up. It is a Vietnamese staple that comes in many varieties and is VERY tasty.

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

The bubble tea place is still in Menlo Mall and it's awesome it's right across from rainforest cafe i go atleast once a week!