Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Pause That Refreshes

I've unpacked my books and started to get my home office in order for some serious research work again. But there is something about crating up your worldly possessions, moving them, and then unboxing it all that disrupts a researcher's mental flow. It isn't writer's block. My brain's computer is sort of on hibernate,seems to me. Research requires a certain spirit that comes from stability and persistence. I find myself looking around the office, pondering issues of interest, if briefly, and dabbling here and there in genealogy mail and Wiki miscellany, but I just have no will to launch into anything substantial yet. It's probably a syndrome of some sort that affects only researchers who move, and no one has ever bothered to identify it because there's no profit to be made on selling pills to temporarily stalled researchers.

I have several projects on the back burner, but even those will have to wait their turn while I acclimate. I'm certainly not at school any longer. The job and commute are part of the new routine. The ungodly early morning alarm and "My baby takes the mornin' train!" are a bitter pill after my luxurious school schedule. But I'm anxious to get back into research and production. For now, though, I must pause and rejuvenate.

1 comment:

itaylo47 said...

I call it research lag. It's like getting off a plane. You don't feel like doing anything.